Fort St. Catherine
Fort St. Catherine defended the eastern channel of Bermuda from the time of Bermuda's first settlement in the 1600's, and was used for military purposes through WW II. The original, small fort was built in 1614 to defend Gates' Bay, the beach next to the fort where the survivors of the Sea Venture shipwreck made landfall. Additions were made through the centuries, with the last upgrade between 1865 and 1878, when five large, rifle muzzle-loading guns were mounted. The exhibits and displays detailing the history and development of Bermuda's UNESCO World Heritage Site fortifications were re-furbished in 2009.
Open Mondays through Fridays, 10 am-4 pm. Entry fee $7 adults, $3 children 5-12 years. 20 minute walk from the Town of St. George's.