Martello Towers were built through-out the British Empire during the first half of the 19th century, and follow a design inspired by a fortress at Martello Point, Corsica. The egg shaped fort was built in 1823 and features a moat, 9-11 foot thick walls of Bermuda stone, and a drawbridge. It is located on a hill at Ferry Reach Park, near Whale Bone Bay, a section of the Railway Trail and other coastal defense sites.
Open by appointment only. Telephone 297-1920.