City Hall & Arts Centre
The City Hall was designed by Bermudian architect Wilfred Onions and completed in 1960. It sits on the site of the Hamilton Hotel, Bermuda’s first major hotel (cornerstone laid 1852). During World War II the hotel became a recreation centre called the United Services Club for Allied servicemen, merchant mariners and workers constructing the United States bases in Bermuda. It later housed several Government departments until it was destroyed by fire in 1955.
Today City Hall is home to the Bermuda National Gallery, Bermuda Society of Arts, Earl Cameron Theatre and Corporation of Hamilton offices. It is located on 17, Church Street.
The City of Hamilton is responsible for administering all aspects of Bermuda's capiital. Municipal elections are held every three years to elect the Mayor and eight Councillors. The elected officials volunteer their time.